Buy This Issue
The Weekend Neos Kosmos : 24 January 2015
SPORT 28 THE WEEKEND NEOS KOSMOS | SATURDAY 24 JANUARY 2015 Bunnies name Inglis new captain Premiership hero to lead Souths charge in 2015 Reigning NRL premier South Sydney has named champion fullback Greg Inglis as its new captain. The announcement, made Tuesday, comes three months after the club won its first premiership in 43 years. Souths, with chairman Nick Pappas at the helm, made the decision to give former captain John Sutton the chance to make the transition from five-eighth to the second-row, according to coach Michael Maguire. "He's played more first grade games for this club than anyone in history and he is still learning in his transition to the forward pack," Maguire said. Sutton will remain in the leadership group, with the club looking to go back-toback for the first time since 1970-71. "Greg is very excited about this opportunity to captain captain, but it's an honour to be captain of this club, it's a privilege to lead the team out in front of the Rabbitohs members, and it's a responsibility I don't take lightly." In other club news Souths CEO Shane Richardson has resigned from his duties to take up a role with the NRL as head of game strategy and development. Having spent 11 years at the club, chairman Nick Pappas was nothing short of praise for Richardson during a press conference at Redfern Oval. "Shane has overseen the transformation of our club from one of the cellar dwellers to what is arguably the benchmark of not only our sport, but all sporting organisations in the country," Pappas said. Inglis making a run for it in the 2014 Grand Final. PHOTO: AAP IMAGE/PAUL MILLER. the team in a very important season for us where we are the defending premiers," Maguire added. Inglis, with his signature 'goanna' celebration that made headlines during the 2014 finals series, said he was proud to lead the Rab- bitohs into 2015. "We have a big job ahead of us as a squad and the senior players have a responsibility to make sure we get the best out of ourselves as a team each week." "My role within the team won't change that much as "His tireless efforts and his passionate approach to the running of this club for over 10 years will never be forgotten by those who hold the Rabbitohs close to their hearts, and his achievements at this club are many and varied." Souths will kick-start the 2015 season against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on March 5. Source: News Corp, Fairfax Media, ABC, Triple M Sydney AFL’s Swan-song on trades and free agency Sydney Swans able to make conditional trades and free-trade pitches, thanks to AFL softening sanctions Sydney has won a small concession from the AFL, with the league agreeing to soften the trade and free agency sanctions it slapped on the club last year. The AFL banned the Swans from taking part in the trade and free agency periods at the end of the 2014 and 2015 seasons as they sought to phase out the controversial cost of living allowance that allowed the club to lure high-profile recruits Kurt Tippett and Lance Franklin in recent years. The initial ban effectively meant the Swans could only add to their senior playing Sydney’s dynamic duo Kurt Tippett and Lance Franklin. PHOTO: AAP IMAGE/JOE CASTRO. list via the draft or by bringing in delisted free agents. Under the softened conditions, the Swans can now trade or make free agent offers to any players whose contract is at or below the current average wage for a listed-player in the AFL who has served more than two years in the competition. The current average AFL wage, excluding first and sec- ond-year players, is $340,000 a year, which effectively still rules the Swans out of making any plays for high-profile talent. The Swans were dismayed by the sanctions when they were imposed, given they had not broken any AFL rules in recruiting Franklin or Tippett, despite protestations from around the competition that the club had a competitive ad- vantage in recruiting given the extra money in their salary cap. Club football manager Tom Harley was thankful to have won a small concession, but admitted he had hoped for the restrictions to be removed altogether. "We certainly appreciate being involved back in the trade period and free agency period for this season and going into next season," Harley told the club's website on Wednesday. "It's fair enough to say that in an ideal world we'd like to be unrestricted, but we certainly accept the AFL Commission's decision and we'll move on with our list management strategy." The cost of living allowance will be phased out by the end of the 2016 and will be replaced by a rental subsidy scheme. Source: AAP DIGITAL.NEOSKOSMOS.COM Former Carlton vice-captain found guilt of assault Former AFL player Nick Stevens has been found guilty of assaulting and threatening to kill a woman he was in relationship with, but the bulk of charges against him have been thrown out. The ex-Carlton and Port Adelaide player faced the Ringwood Magistrates Court on Thursday for a decision on allegations he hit, kicked and shoved an ex-girlfriend while they were together in 2012 and 2013. He was also accused of criminal damage, making threats to kill and injure her and making threats to kill her father. Stevens denied all charges. Magistrate Nunzio La Rosa said he had to dismiss charges arising from several of the seven alleged incidents, but added he found the victim's testimony to be consistent and convincing. "I was impressed with the complainant and the manner in which she gave her evidence," Magistrate La Rosa said. "I accept the complainant as truthful." He convicted Stevens of 12 charges and dismissed the rest. Former Carlton vice-captain Nick Stevens. PHOTO: AAP IMAGE/JULIAN SMITH. He found Stevens kicked and pushed his former partner at a hotel room in Traralgon in 2012 after she threw wine at him during an argument. He also found Stevens guilty of assaulting the woman on February 10, 2013. She gave evidence he threatened to beat her within an inch of her life. Mr La Rosa said some allegations, including a charge that Stevens threw a chair at the woman, could not be proved, but he rejected the proposition that injuries she sustained following the February 10 confrontation were self-inflicted. The hearing continues. Source: AAP Bubble soccer ‘world cup’ in Melbourne JOHN PYRROS Melbourne will play host to what organisers claim will be the world's first bubble soccer world cup. The privately organised event, to be held at St Kilda beach on March 7, is giving people the opportunity to battle it out at the family friendly event. Organiser Evgeni Routman says the event will celebrate Melbourne's multi- culturalism. "We want to bring together 16 nations to compete in a knockout competition and in the process essentially promote and celebrate our multicultural community. It's just a real community event and it's family friendly." To join participants are required to form teams of 10 (or more) and pay a $25 entry fee, with the opportunity to win $1,000. The joys of bubble soccer.
17 January 2015
31 January 2015