Buy This Issue
The Weekend Neos Kosmos : 6 June 2015
NEWS 8 THE WEEKEND NEOS KOSMOS | SATURDAY 6 JUNE 2015 DIGITAL.NEOSKOSMOS.COM Raising awareness of MS ANASTASIA TSIRTSAKIS Dynami Australia held its first Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Gala fundraising event last month to help raise muchneeded funds for medical research and those living with the debilitating disease. More than 200 guests attended the event at Richmond's Kinisi Live venue on Friday 29 May. The collective efforts of those gathered raised more than $37,000, half of which will go towards medical research and the other half to assisting people living with MS. "It was an overwhelming success," event organiser Irene Palamaras told Neos Kosmos. "We drew a crowd of prominent business owners from our wider community, as well as a number of other distinguished members who wanted to give towards the current MS Walk Fun Run Campaign.” The event was hosted by Master of Ceremonies Con Laz, actor and director Tony Nikolakopoulos, along with the Greek community's very own Elvis, Chris Giannakopoulos, who did a stellar job of entertaining the crowd. Guest speaker on the night was MS Ambassador Steve Van Ruyven, who opened up about his personal experiences with the disease. "It goes without saying that one of the most memorable moments of the night was listening to our MS ambassador. He told his personal MS story and created a greater awareness of the disease and how it can impact on an individual's life," Mrs Palamaras said. The brainchild of Angela Patsavos and Mrs Palamaras, Dynami Australia was created to raise awareness of a variety of diseases and illnesses. No BYO baby bottles Degani apologises for cafe staff’s actions Funding available for disability charities Through its Seed Challenge initiative, the Lord Mayor's Charitable Foundation is offering grants of up to $150,000 to eligible charities, in order to create employment solutions for young people with a disability. According to the foundation's chief executive officer, "67,500 young Victorians living with a disability [encounter] a culture where there are low expectations of their abilities and limited opportunities for mainstream employment". In partnership with the Australian Centre for Social Innovation, the foundation encourages cross-sector collaboration from social entrepreneurs, employers and not-for-profit organisations working in the greater Melbourne area. Through this, the initiative hopes to create innovative employment engagement solutions that provide meaningful employment opportunities. For more information visit www.lmcf.org.au/grants/seedchallenge The owner of a Melbourne cafe has come under fire over claims his staff would not allow a customer to feed her eight-month-old baby at their tables. Steve Loupos - joint proprietor of the Frankston Bayside Degani cafe - told the Frankston Standard Leader he rejected the claims made by customer Tracey Palmer, who took to social media last week to express her outrage over the alleged incident, which involved her daughter and grandchild. "My daughter was there and had bought a coffee and cake and was sitting down, only to be told she was not allowed to bottle-feed her hungry eight-week-old baby," wrote Ms Palmer on Facebook, before the story was picked up by the News Corp local paper. Having received a number of phone calls from those outraged by the post, Mr Loupos insisted the incident did not take place. "I have been here for 11 years. I would never refuse to warm up a bottle for a mum," said Mr Loupos. "It's some- thing that did not happen." In a further Facebook post, Ms Palmer went on to explain the incident in detail, claiming that her daughter asked the staff to heat up a baby's bottle, which they responded would not be possible. "Jess [her daughter] thought the girl was mucking around but much to her disgust she was serious - so then spoke to a manager who also told her the same," she wrote. Her daughter then proceeded to ask for a refund, which she was denied, after having taken a sip out of her coffee. Despite Mr Loupos' claims that the incident did not take place, the Degani head office posted a public apology. DFAT updates travel advice for Greece The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued updated travel advice for Australians travelling to Greece. While the level of advice still remains at 'exercise normal safety precautions', the department's recommendation now include amended information about accessing cash from Greek banks. DFAT advises visitors to be aware of the possibility that access "to retail banking services throughout Greece may become very limited at times and at short notice". The department goes on to recommend that travellers have more than one means of payment on them at all times including cash, debit or credit cards. It also advises travellers to make sure they have enough money to cover emergencies or unexpected delays. As usual, the advisory warns about the potential for protests and demonstrations in Greek cities and to avoid them. Travellers are urged to monitor the media and to maintain contact with transport companies, travel agents and insurers if strikes are called. Guests at Dynami Australia’s first fundraiser. (L-R) Kathy Coumaros, Georgia Houssos, Angela Patsavos, Steve Palamaras, Evie Makris, Irene Palamaras, Marissa Palamaras and Voula Alliminos.
30 May 2015
13 June 2015