Buy This Issue
The Weekend Neos Kosmos : 18 July 2015
NEWS 28 THE WEEKEND NEOS KOSMOS | SATURDAY 18 JULY 2015 Xenophon: new migrants should head to SA Senator backs immigration to boost state’s growth Independent Senator Nick Xenophon has announced that up to 16,000 jobs could be created in South Australia each year, if a lower threshold is applied for foreign investors. As the law stands, investors from abroad can only be granted a visa if they plan to inject $5 million or more into the nation's economy. If this threshold comes down, the Senator believes it would provide a huge boost for the state. Xenophon plans to introduce legislation that will make it easier for economic migrants to move to South Australia and open businesses. This he says will "turbo- Senator Nick Xenophon at the Senate committee public hearings on corporate tax avoidance in Sydney, Wednesday 8 April 2015. (AAP IMAGE/NIKKI SHORT) charge" economic demand, while also combating the state's high unemployment, currently at the worst it's been in 15 years, at 8.2 per cent. "A realistic target of 10,000 new economic migrants a year bringing investment into the state would produce flow-on Save ‘The Old Greek’ Richmond campaigns to prevent the former National Theatre from demolition NELLY SKOUFATOGLOU The theatre building at 177 Bridge Road, Richmond has survived many changes. Originally named the Nation Picture Theatre it was originally an open-air cinema constructed in 1910. A permanent roof was added in 1911. It was rebuilt in the 1920s using a neo-Grecian style. Fashion decreed a major art deco style refurbishment in 1939, and it continued as general release motion picture theatre until 1961. At that point it was purchased by the Cosmopolitan Motion Pictures Group to add to their expanding Greek cinema circuit. By the late 1960s it had became one of their most successful theatres, regarded locally as The Greek Theatre. Owner Peter Yiannoudes screened both commercial releases and Greek language films, often with manual subtitles displayed with an overhead projector. It continued that way until 1983, when a fire in the stage area caused the theatre to shut its doors. By 1985 it had been converted into a live music venue known as The Old Greek Theatre. The popular venue hosted many local and international acts until the early 1990s when cinema entreprenuer Ralph Taranto purchased the site. He aimed to convert it into a twin movie theatre. The site was sold again before that project was realised, and it became a fashion clothing store. It then underwent a few more changes before it being relaunched as the whole foods Macro branch and later Thomas Dux, until it was finally listed on the Victorian Heritage Database with a Statement of Significance. Now developer Little Projects, teaming up with Rothelowman architects, has announced plans for a new13storey construction, hosting 191 apartments to replace the historical building and the adjacent shops. The current buildings, scheduled to be demolished, are theoret- ically protected under the heritage overlay. The council does not appear to have made a decision on this project, however it will, as a rule, take objections up until the time a planning permit application is decided. "The top end of Bridge Road, Richmond was a focal point for live music as the Old Greek Theatre came alive after dark and created a bustling hub," says Nikos Psaltopoulos, founder of 'The Old Greek' support page on Facebook. "The theatre has also functioned as a live music venue supporting hundreds of local and famous international bands performing in Melbourne. [When it was showing films] Greek Australian families congregated on the footpaths in front of the theatre each weekend in what had become a local social tradition. During a time before pay TV and the internet, a Saturday or Sunday at the pictures was the only opportunity for migrants to reconnect with their distant homeland. “Growing up in the wonderful 1970s, I have so many fond memories of this iconic Greek theatre that bring tears to my eyes," says Richmond resident Betty Mihalakos. "We can't be developing everything and knocking iconic buildings down like this backbone of our community carrying the cultural heritage of nearly three generations." Psaltopoulos's goal is to ensure that the landmark theatre site is not inappropriately developed, asking that any prospective building design respects and pays tribute to the social significance of the historic venue. "Whilst we understand the need for development, we urge Yarra Council and VCAT not to allow the destruction of the building's facade," he says. "Development should be respectful to the local community by retaining and preserving areas of historical significance for future generations. "The 'Save The Greek' team, along with your support, will fight to ensure Richmond's significant social history is not lost." *You can lodge an objection to the council by quoting application PLN14/0861 including the grounds for objection and your name and address, etc. economic growth and additional employment of between 13,000 and 16,000 new jobs a year," said Senator Xenophon. Source: The Advertiser DIGITAL.NEOSKOSMOS.COM Family violence victims of CALD background, more vulnerable Royal Commission into Family Violence urged to ensure needs of diverse communities are addressed EUGENIA PAVLOPOULOU Women of migrant and refugee background who are victims of family violence find it harder to access services and are more vulnerable when it comes to reporting the crimes committed against them. This grim reality was brought to the fore at the Royal Commission into Family Violence by InTouch the only Multicultural Centre against Family Violence in Victoria which provides support services exclusively to women of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) backgrounds in Victoria. With the Royal Commission continuing its public consultations this week, InTouch submitted its 42 recommendations for the Commission to consider and act upon. The recommendations cover a number of issues, with the need for the provision and funding of interpreting, as well as culturally and linguistically sensitive legal services, at the heart of them. The need for the government to support service providers to centre the needs of CALD women and children when designing programs and services for people affected by family violence is the overarching principle that the recommendations are based upon. The recommendations point out that there is a lack of community-led family violence prevention initiatives in settings such as faith groups, schools, ethno-specific organisations and migrant resource centres: primary social locations for women and men of CALD background when they are newcomers to Australia. InTouch CEO Maya Avdibe- govic, pointed out to Neos Kosmos that while the experiences of migrant and refugee women are similar to women in the wider community, there are additional challenges to overcome when seeking protection from a violent partner or family member such as: lack of knowledge about the Australian legal system; extreme social isolation; a fear of people in positions of authority; and limited English skills. Similarly, the experiences of their children may differ to the experiences of children in the wider community who suffer family violence, because of trauma related to their pre-migration and migration experiences, racism and discrimination, and the normalisation of certain cultural beliefs. According Ms Avdibegovic if undertaken the recommendations would greatly enhance the capacity of CALD women and children to access effective family violence support services, and thereby assist the government to achieve its aim of combating family violence. "While we recognise there have been a number of systematic advances in relation to assisting victims of family violence, migrant and refugee women and children still face a range of barriers and service gaps when it comes to accessing mainstream broader services" said Ms Avdibegovic. The Victoria's Royal Commission into Family Violence started public hearings in Melbourne last Monday. The Victorian Government established the royal commission earlier this year, describing family violence as a national emergency. According to crime statistics in 2013 there were 44 family violence-related deaths in Victoria and more than 65,000 family violence incidents reported to police. InTouch CEO Maya Avdibegovic (second from left) with Monash Health staff.
11 July 2015
25 July 2015