Buy This Issue
The Weekend Neos Kosmos : 5 September 2015
NEWS 10 THE WEEKEND NEOS KOSMOS | SATURDAY 5 SEPTEMBER 2015 Moraitis’ winning ways Legendary racehorse owner puts business first ANTHONY STAVRINOS Businessman Nick Moraitis' horseracing love affair is coming to an end, with the owner of champion galloper Might and Power scaling back involvement to focus on business interests. Might and Power matched the achievements of Phar Lap - widely considered Australia's most successful racehorse - to also claim a trifecta of victories in premier races, the Caulfield Cup, the Melbourne Cup and the Cox Plate. In 1997, it won the Caulfield Cup and the Melbourne Cup, and took out the Cox Plate the following year, before Moraitis retired the horse. "You've got to remember one thing … Might and Power is only the second racehorse in the history of racing that's won that trio," Moraitis recently told TV host Graham Richardson. "Only the mighty Phar Lap won those three races, so he's in the history books Might and Power, and you actually never saw the best of him because he got injured. After the Cox Plate, he got hurt and only God knows what he may have shown us." Richardson reminisced about a Moraitis moment he considered famous, and which offered an insight to his character: "As you went to grab your horse, I think the bloke said 'well, you've just won a million dollars' and you said, 'fxxx' the money’." "You said that to millions of people watching - I thought it was terrific," Richardson added. An amused Moraitis explained, "well it just came out unfortunately". Moraitis said he'd owned a few horses in recent decades and more recently had moved into horse breeding, but now he was ready to retire. "I can assure you at my age I'm getting right out," Moraitis said. In late 2012, after a decade stint on the Sydney Turf Club committee, he was considered likely to be appointed to the board of Racing NSW, but it wasn't to be. That's when Moraitis began to question the future of the industry, believing not enough was being done to encourage participation and with too much focus on celebration. "You've got to look after customers and the unfortunate thing about it is, we're a dying race," Moraitis told The Australian at the time. "I look around the race meetings today, you get a lot of young people there but they're only there to get drunk and look for young sheilas somewhere. We need people in racing who are going to support it." AHEPA celebrates 80 years in Queensland To celebrate the organisation's 80th anniversary, members of AHEPA Queensland gathered on the Gold Coast last week. Established on 25 August in 1934, the 2015 festivities commenced with a memorial church service on Sunday at the Greek Orthodox Church of St Anna, followed by a ceremonial artoklasia performed by Father Romanos Stergiou. A luncheon followed in their community's hall, with a banquet prepared by the dedicated and hard-working Ladies Auxiliary of St Anna. James Nides, vice president of St Anna Parish welcomed all those gathered, followed by a speech from National President of AHEPA, Christine Lynch. Queenland's president of AHEPA, Leo Drakos, also addressed the crowd, during which he announced a generous donation to the parish of St Anna. Awards were given to a number of older members of the organisation in recognition of their tireless efforts throughout the years. DIGITAL.NEOSKOSMOS.COM Anglo programs devour SBS Multicultural broadcaster criticised for prevalence of British and US imports MICHAEL SWEET Following a number of highprofile departures within the senior ranks of SBS, questions are being asked as to whether the broadcaster is breaking away from the terms of its charter, which stipulates that its "principal function ... is to provide multilingual and multicultural radio, television and digital media services that inform, educate and entertain all Australians and, in doing so, reflect Australia's multicultural society". This week the Australian Business Review reported that a number of former executives and competitors believe the broadcaster has moved dramatically away from its founding philosophy and has done so without any real scrutiny. As a hybrid commercialpublic broadcaster, SBS faces a dilemma; finding an acceptable balance between meeting its charter responsibilities and advertisers' demands for high audienceratings. The current SBS One sched- ule is dominated by Englishlanguage programming, primarily British documentaries, factual and food shows, supplemented by US dramas, with a majority of SBS Two's output dominated by bought-in US comedies and dramas. This week's programming is case in point, with three foreign-language movies (Italian, Danish and French) airing after prime time, and only the Dutch drama Holland's Hope and Chinese dating show If You Are The One in the 6.00 pm-midnight slot. All the foreign-language output is airing on SBS Two. Defending the broadcaster's record, a spokeswoman for SBS said: "The proportion of English and LOTE (language other than English) programming on SBS One and SBS Two is largely consistent this year with previous years." The spokeswoman added that 90 per cent of the 600 movies available through SBS On Demand were in languages other than English. SBS shows that have attracted some of the largest Bear Grylls in Man vs Wild, which aired on SBS before Grylls’ current series The Island. SBS One’s schedule is dominated by British and US programs. PHOTO: AAP/DISCOVERY. audiences over the past year are the Australian offshoot of Who Do You Think You Are? and the factual series Struggle Street. Earlier this year SBS director of news and current affairs, Jim Carroll, was accused of "whitewashing" SBS's newsroom staff; of 11 new hires under the excommercial television executive, eight came from commercial networks and only two were from non-English backgrounds. The trends witnessed today are in stark contrast to pre- vious innovative programming strategies that delivered more directly on charter responsibilities. In 2010, SBS embarked on Mandarin News Australia - an online and television news program. Young bilingual staff sought stories from the Chinese community and broadcast in Mandarin with English subtitles. The program was a template for others that were to follow in more widely spoken languages but was axed in 2012. Source: Australian Business Review, The Conversation Bulldogs fan gets 10-year ban NRL gets tough with match day thug Father Romanos Stergiou with AHEPA officials. The only way Sydneysider Nektarios Kalaitzakis will see the club he barracks for - the Canterbury Bulldogs - play footy for the next ten years is by watching them on TV. Last week the NRL banned Kalaitzakis from every ground or building used by the NRL until the end of 2025, after what he himself described as a "cowardly attack" on a Rabbitohs fan outside ANZ Stadium when the two teams last played in April. The ban is being enforced by having Kalaitzakis' photograph circulated to clubs and venues for security staff to act on if he attempts to get in. Kalaitzakis pleaded guilty to assaulting 21-year-old Rabbitohs supporter Mathew Makaritis immediately after the match. Mr Makaritis, a physiother- apy student, suffered a large cut above his eye and needed hospital treatment. A police statement said the attack by Kalaitzakis was "totally unprovoked". "When asked to describe the victim, the accused stated: "I hit him from behind and that was a cowardly attack. I don't know what the poor boy looked like from the front, I just saw a South Sydney jersey," the statement added. Kalaitzakis was fined $1,000 and issued with a good behaviour bond and outside the court he said he was "very sorry" for the incident. The NRL's head of integrity Nick Weeks said: "There is no place in our game for fans who want to engage in activity which threatens or endangers other fans." Source: News Corp Banned: Nektarios Kalaitzakis. PHOTO: NEWS CORP.
29 August 2015
12 September 2015