Buy This Issue
Neos Kosmos Thursday : 05 July 2018
14 - ΝΕΟΣ ΚΟΣΜΟΣ ΠΕΜΠΤΗ 5 ΙΟΥΛΙΟΥ 2018 Greek Orthodox Community 1898 The First 60 years - 1898-1958 1924 Th e Greek Orthodox Community of N.S.W. initially established an organisation with the intention to build a church. Th e Holy Trinity Church was the fi rst Greek Orthodox Church to be established in Australia and in the Southern Hemisphere and the entity were established in 1898. Th e following were the fi rst Council of the Greek Orthodox Community of N.S.W: Th e origins of the Greek Orthodox Community of New South Wales can be traced to 1897 when a number of members of the small Greek Community in Sydney commenced fundraising for the building of a Greek Orthodox Church on a block of land on the corner of Burke & Ridge Street, Surry Hills which was donated by Mr Ioanis Cominos. By November of 1897 some 62 individuals had donated 257 pounds to the fund for the construction. Th e offi cial commencement of the organisation appears to be at the beginning of 1898 when about one hundred residents of Sydney met at Australia Hall in Elizabeth Street, Sydney and resolved to form the Greek Orthodox Community. Th is places the establishment of the Greek Community before the formation of Commonwealth of Australia and one of the oldest migrant organisations in Australia. This year we celebrate 120 years since the establishment of the Community and its contribution to the life of the Greek Community. During the period of its history the community was at the forefront of all the significant national, and social struggles which marked our community life and was at the forefront in the struggles to maintain our language, our culture, our identity and the preservation of our democratice ideals. The community’s efforts were directed at the religious, educational, cultural and social welfare needs of our community as well as the struggle for the many national issues affecting our community from time to time. The persons responsible for this contribution are the thousands of members and supporters who with their support and contribution to the community gave it the strength to withstand all the struggles and difficulties and to continue until today its growth and progress for a fairer and just society and the retention of our language and cultural identity. The significance of the anniversary is not judged solely by the length of the years of struggle and achievement but mainly from the variety and the significance of its contribution towards the achievement of our ideals and the ideals of its members. The Challenges for the future of the Greek Community are many and varied and will require the continuing support of all our members, friends and supporters and indeed the whole of the Greek Community of NSW for the continuing role of the Greek Community of NSW. Harry Danalis - President Dyonisios KOUVARAS – President Panayiotis ANTONIOU – Secretary Sophocles SERVETOPOULOS Evangelos ZAHARIAS Dimitrios KOMINOS Ioannis THEODOROU Aziz MELIK Joseph MALOUF In March 1924 the Ecumenical Patriarchate decided to claim jurisdiction over the Australian and other overseas parishes due to the loss of parishes in Asia Minor, as a result of the catastrophic Greek military confl ict with Turkey and the exodus of Greek refugees in 1922 and 1923. Th e Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Australia and New Zealand was established under the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Th e fi rst Metropolitan appointed to this jurisdiction was Metropolitan Christophoros Knitis of Serres, who was an Honour’s graduate from Oxford University. Th e claim by the Ecumenical Patriarchate was opposed by the Greek Orthodox Community NSW and the President, Th eodoros Kritharis, a Kytherian Café – Proprietor consulted with the Greek Community Councils in Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth, as well as Greece’s honorary Consuls and in March 1924 they unitedly responded “All Greek Communities in Australia, being under the jurisdiction of the Church of Greece, reject the Patriarchal intervention and the appointment of the Metropolitan is unacceptable”. 1939-1945 Th e War years resulted in unity and harmony amongst the Greeks in Sydney and in the wider NSW country towns. Th e leadership of Metropolitan Timotheos over all ecclesiastical activities led to regularly celebrated liturgies at both churches and marriages, baptisms and funerals were conducted in an atmosphere of reverence and goodwill and considerable sacrifi ces were made by parishioners in their Church’s interest. 1947 1950 Metropolitan Timotheos returned to Greece and was replaced by Metropolitan Th eophylaktos, who had been in Sydney since 1929 and was well versed with the issues within the Church and the Greek community. Aft er the war ended, Australia pursued an active immigration policy that saw thousands of Greeks arrive in Australia and the spiritual and cultural needs of the Greek settlers increased dramatically.
28 June 2018
12 July 2018