Buy This Issue
The Weekend Neos Kosmos : 3 November 2018
NEWS 6 THE WEEKEND NEOS KOSMOS | SATURDAY 3 NOVEMBER 2018 James Gargasoulas to stand trial next week for Bourke St killings Despite suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and delusions, the jury has found James Gargasoulas to be fit to stand for trial James Gargasoulas, accused of murdering pedestrians on Melbourne's Bourke Street in January, 2017 by running them down with a vehicle, has been found fit to stand for trial. Despite suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and delusions, after a week-long Supreme Court hearing the jury returned the verdict on Monday that Mr Gargasoulas would go on trial on Wednesday 7 November. During the trial held to determine the accused's mental state and fitness to stand trial, two psychiatrists and a psychologist gave evidence. All agreed that Mr Gargasoulas does in fact believe he is the Messiah, and that he is not faking his evident mental illness. However when it came to whether he met the criteria to be fit to stand trial, opinions were split. While forensic psychiatrists Andrew Carroll and Lester Walton argued that Mr Gargasoulas was not in the state to enter a plea, give instruc- selves at all. "This phone call demonstrates that … the delusions, persistent as they are, do not intrude to such a degree to prevent [Mr Gargasoulas] from acting in a sensible and proper way." Accused Bourke Street driver James Gargasoulas (left) arrives at the Su- preme Court of Victoria in Melbourne on Wednesday 13 June, 2018. PHOTO: AAP IMAGE/DANIEL POCKETT tions to his lawyers or understand the substantial effect of the evidence, psychologist Michael Daffern thought otherwise. Director of Public Prosecutions Kerri Judd QC referred to a phone call Mr Gargasoulas made from prison to a welfare worker about his children, which she claimed demonstrated his capacity to think sensibly and make decisions. "[Mr Gargasoulas] initiated that call, he engaged in a very sensible discussion … he took advice from the worker about how best to engage with his children," she said. "It was a call where his delusions did not manifest them- While in custody, Mr Gagasoulas has been treated for schizophrenia, but the court heard that his illness had been resistant to the six medications he had been prescribed. Well over a year since the shocking incident took place, Monday's verdict was welcomed by the victims' families said Genna Angelowitsch, the lawyer representing them. "The jury's decision will mean a resolution to these lengthy proceedings," she said. "The families thank the court for bringing on the trial so quickly. It may help to bring some closure." Mr Gargasoulas has pleaded not guilty to six counts of murder and 28 counts of attempted murder. Hosting the Olympics could be on the cards for Melbourne The last and only time Melbourne hosted the Olympics was in 1956. In more recent history, an unsuccessful bit was made by the city in 1996. But talk re-emerged this week at an event for the Sports Diplomacy Foundation about making it a reality. While it would come at a high cost to tax payers, Philip Dalidakis, Small Business, Innovation and Trade Minister, says being open to such an opportunity would go a long way in maintaining the city's position as a major sporting capital both in Australia and abroad. "It (wanting to hold the Olympics) is a simple question to answer, but there are a whole range of considerations that have to go on behind it because at the end of the day, we are also talking about tax payer funds," he said at the event. At the Olympics in Melbourne in 1956; fans running to get autographs from their favourite Olympians. PHOTO: STATE LIBRARY VICTORIA There has been talk of submitting a bid for 2032. However Brisbane has also shown particular interest for that year's event. But as the sporting capital of the country, it's Melbourne that has Lord Mayor Sally Capp's support. "We already have some of the world's best sporting facilities which are in walking distance to an amazing array of restaurants, bars and cafes," she said. In an effort to encourage and celebrate a love of learning languages in Australia, SBS Radio is making its annual National Languages Competition open for all ages for the first time. The nationwide competition aims to engage all Australians who are learning a language, including those learning English and reflect on the cultural, linguistic and ethnic diversity of the country's multicultural society. To participate in the 'SBS National Languages Competition' applicants can send a photo, a drawing or a collage that shows what possibilities learning a language can open, why the applicant chose to learn this specific language or what they like about the language they are learning. The entries should be captioned in the language the participants are learning as well as in English (not required for English learners) and the English translation should be as accurate as possible and submitted by 11:59pm on Sunday 18 November, 2018 (AEST). There can only be one submission per entrant (group entries are also accepted). The five most unique entries based on both the imagery and the caption (one from each age category) will receive an iPad Pro for the winner and their school of learning. Winners will be notified by email or phone by the end of November and will be invited to attend the SBS National Languages Competition award ceremony at SBS headquarters in Sydney to be held in December. Those not based in NSW at the time of the above award ceremony will receive return airfares (for them and one guardian) from their capital city and one night's accommodation in Sydney to attend the ceremony. Categories: Junior Primary (Aged 4 – 7) Primary (Aged 8 – 12) Junior High School (Aged 13 – 15) Senior High School (Aged 16 – 18) Open category (18+) Apply via www.sbs.com.au/ nlc18 DIGITAL.NEOSKOSMOS.COM SBS National Languages Competition is on and open to all ages Skip the 1000 words, tell the story of your language learning experience with an image Irene Vergakis, who excelled in last year’s SBS National Languages competition, at the SBS Greek studio with Themi Kallos. FECCA raises concerns about wage theft One in three migrant workers are paid half the minimum wage, report finds The issue of employment conditions of migrant workers was brought to the spotlight this week by the Federation of Ethnic Communities' Councils of Australia (FECCA). FECCA Chairperson, Mary Patetsos. The national peak body representing Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, weighed in on the issue, expressing concerns over the findings of a report, titled Wage Theft In Silence: Why Migrant Workers Do Not Recover Their Unpaid Wages in Australia. Authored by senior law lecturers Bassina Farbenblum, from the University of New South Wales, and Laurie Berg, from the University of Technology Sydney, the report follows a survey of 4,322 international students, backpackers and other temporary migrant workers, finding that almost one in three earned no more than $12 an hour or less, about half the casual minimum wage. In addition to that, one in four migrant workers expressed fears that their immigration status would be impacted if they took action to reclaim wages, which is why they are reluctant to pursue it. "It is deeply concerning that so few of these workers took action to claim their correct wages, despite knowing that they were being underpaid, "said FECCA chairperson, Mary Patetsos. "Employers need to step up and do the right thing. "FECCA believes there needs to be a better process for wage recovery, stronger support services and a guarantee that a worker's visa will not be put at risk for reporting wage theft," Ms Patetsos added.
27 October 2018
10 November 2018